The first half of 2023 is flying by! Life lately has been a blur. Now that I’m officially living between New York City and Miami, I’ve been spending more time on planes and in Ubers than I care to admit. But there is something to to be said for spending the Winter months in the Sunshine State. In addition to traveling, we have had a good deal of company which is always fun. But, as I said to another Floridian transplant recently, as much as I enjoy having company; I enjoy my space so much more when they’re gone. No offense! Sadly, my grandad (he was Effie’s husband) passed away in February. He was blessed to live to the age of 100 and was my ace! I am grateful beyond measure for the memories and lessons impart and will cherish them always. On a more upbeat note, my bestie and her family came to visit from Milan and we had THE BEST time with them in NYC.
I hope you enjoy this life lately edit!
What I’ve Been Up To
Like I said, life lately has been happening at lightening speed. Here’s a bit of what I’ve been up to:
- We went to the South Beach Food & Wine Festival in February. I hadn’t been in years – it was sooo much fun! I’ll be back, but it will probably be at least another 3 years.
- I saw The Wife of Willesden, adapted by Zadie Smith from Chaucer’s The Wife of Bath, at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. I loved it! My husband hated it. I’ve loved Zadie Smith since her debut novel, White Teeth and I was an English major at the University of Michigan, so it was right up my alley. If you get a chance to see it, I recommend reading a synopsis of The Wife of Bath ahead of time.
- Had a wonderful dinner at Marcus Sammeulson’s new restaurant Hav & Mar (the entire enterprise is run by women). Marcus was there and we got a chance to chat with him about his new concept and he took us on a tour of the space.
- While our friends were visiting from Italy we walked across The Brooklyn Bridge, I haven’t done that it ages. I forgot how crowded it gets. If you decide to walk it while visiting NYC, go early!
- I started teaching a course called REAL TALK:: THE ELEMENTS OF A PRODUCT BASED BUSINESS as part of Buy From A Black Woman University for folks who’ve started, or are interested in starting, a products-based business.
- I’ve been working on some fun private label and branding projects with some new clients. Did you know that I do custom work? Learn more here.
What I’ve Been Reading, Loving and Looking At
- I love cozy mysteries – I’ve read all 6 of Sarah Yarwood-Lovett’s Dr. Nell Ward Mysteries.
- I’m definitely a dress gal and am always on the lookout for new brands to try. Just before the Target x Agua Bendita collaboration, I bought a few Agua Bendita dresses – LOVE them. AND, I scooped up one of the Target collab dresses too – winning!
- I’ve started added protein to either my latte or my smoothies daily to lower body fat, keep lean muscle, feel full and lose weight. So far so good. I’m partial to Vital Proteins.
- If you run hot (IYKYK), these mini portable fans are live savers. Buy now and thank me later!
- I’ve had a hard time getting on a schedule this year – I think it’s all of the travel – which means my diet has been all over the place. However, I’ve been making smoothies a few times a week and they’re definitely making a difference. I’m partial to Daily Harvest – you select the combos you want, they deliver to your door and you just add coconut water and throw them in the nutribullet. Use my referral code 43-3f357HG and save up to $65 off of your first order. Let’s eat better together.
- I’ve been designing socks for the Effie’s Paper monthly sock club; I’m so excited about the designs we have coming out each month. You definitely want to get in on this goodness – plain white socks are so 2008. Click here to join!
- Documentaries – Judy Bloom Forever on Prime Video and ‘Bama Rush on Max. Two very different movies; I found both intriguing.
In Case You Missed It
- My Favorite Cocktail I Discovered in Greece.
- Why We Love The Color Pink at Effie’s Paper.
- How To Pack For Long Vacations.
- How To Make Your Own Magic.
- Effie’s Paper’s Monthly Sock Club.
I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!