With a new season comes new recipes to try out. More specifically new cocktail recipes! I love all things Fall from college football to Pumpkin Spice Lattes. My favorite Fall cocktails are whiskey based may not surprise some of you since it’s no secret that my go-to drink of choice is Maker’s Mark.
However, I love a good cocktail of any type, especially when you have the opportunity to make it festive. You can shop my must-have cocktail accoutrements in my Amazon Storefront. They’re perfect for any cocktail aficionados or newbies out there!
1. Irish Coffee
Don’t let the name fool you here, an Irish coffee is a caffeinated alcoholic drink consisting of Irish whiskey, hot coffee, and sugar, stirred, and topped with cream. It’s kind of like a latte; you drink the “coffee” through the cream. If you know me and follow me on Instagram, this cocktail fave should come as no surprise because I’d be lost without my morning latte.
The Dead Rabbit
The BEST and only place to have an Irish Coffee is The Dead Rabbit here in New York. Their recipe is the only one to use – I promise you, once you have this Irish Coffee you’ll wonder what you’ve been drinking as Irish Coffee all these years. I highly recommend stopping by The Dead Rabbit for cocktails if you’re in New York.
As a matter of fact, although a good friend told me about The Dead Rabbit years ago, it took a bartender in Capri telling me about it before I finally checked it out. Oy vey! When I tell you I was sick that this bar was around the corner and I’d just poo-pooed it …. but, that’s a story for another day. Their Irish Coffee is the very BEST. In fact, despite it’s modest appearance, The Dead Rabbit is one of the most awarded bars in the world.
SO, without futher ado, here’s The Dead Rabbit Irish Coffee receipe:
- 1 1/2 ounces Clontarf Irish whiskey
- 4 ounces brewed hot coffee
- 3/4 ounce demerara syrup
- Lightly whipped, heavy cream
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg
Steps to make it:
- Fill a coffee glass with hot water and let sit for a few minutes to warm up.
- Discard the water & add in the whiskey, coffee, and demerara syrup.
- Stir to combine and top with a layer of heavy cream.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
2. Apple Cider Bourbon Sour
One of Fall’s most well-known beverages is apple cider and this cocktail is a must-try for anyone who loves it! It’s a fun twist on a classic Whiskey Sour for my fellow bourbon lovers out there.
- 1 1/2 ounces of bourbon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 ounces of apple cider
- 1 teaspoon of agave nectar
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup of ice
Steps to make it:
- Fill a shaker with your bourbon, lemon juice, apple cider, agave nectar, and egg white, then shake for 20 seconds.
- Add ice and shake the mixture again until it is chilled and mixed – you want the shaker to feel cold in your hand.
- Strain the cocktail into a serving glass and garnish with cinnamon.
3. Winter Citrus Tequila Smash
Now don’t let the name fool you, this is very much a fall-appropriate drink. It’s refreshing, simple to make, and warm feeling. The warmth primarily comes from the ginger used. While the mint makes it refreshing, perfect after a long day!
- 1 Teaspoon of orange zest
- 1 Blood orange, remove the peel and cut it into fourths
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 2 Tablespoons of pomegranate juice
- 1 Teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 3 Fresh mint leaves
- 1-2 Tablespoons of honey
- 2 Ounces of silver tequila
- Top with sparkling water
Steps to make it:
1. Combine the orange zest, blood orange, lime juice, pomegranate juice, ginger, mint, and honey in your glass. Muddle the ingredients together, to release the juices from the fruit.
2. Add in your tequila. Fill with ice and shake until combined. Strain into your glass. Top with sparkling water and add fresh mint when serving.
While it may not necessarily be fall themed, as a coffee aficionado I need to mention one of my go-to drinks of choice. Which is an espresso martini! It’s another favorite of mine to grab, especially from The Dead Rabbit in New York.
You can not tell me that this espresso martini does not look fabulous! I’m sure any of my fellow coffee ’til cocktail aficiondos will agree with me. I couldn’t talk about my favorite fall cocktails to make at home and leave them out; they’re too good not to mention. Plus you can Fall-ify them if you want to by adding a dash of cinnamon or pouring in a tad of pumpkin spice syrup. If you decide to try one of these decidedly Fall flavors, let me know because it sounds delicious.
- 2 Ounces vodka
- 1/2 Ounce coffee liqueur (Kahlúa is a good option)
- 1 Ounce espresso, freshly brewed (or cold brew concentrate)
- 1/2 Ounce of simple syrup
- Coffee beans to garnish
Steps to make it:
- Add coffee liqueur, vodka, espresso, and simple syrup to a shaker filled with ice and shake until it’s chilled.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Add your garnish
The three cocktails above top my list of favorite Fall cocktails to enjoy. Each represents Fall in its own way and they’re perfect for chilly nights cozied up by the fire. To see what else I’ve been loving this Fall, simply click here. What are your go-to Fall drinks? Let me know in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links and I may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Please see my disclosures for more information. Thank you so much for your support!